Wednesday, February 24, 2021

I Wonder Why I Love Music so much?

I Wonder

I Wonder Why do I love Music so much?

I wonder

Is it because first and foremost, my father and his sister played the music of Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Motown, and many others over, over and over?

Or is it because when I attended Birney Elementary School, in Detroit, MI, my music and art teacher Lawrence Cotter introduced me to a plethora of composers like Leroy Anderson, Mozart, and Beethoven?
Is it because I was inspired by the pen of Dick van dePitte and Paul Riser and power of the DSO?
Is it because Howard House taught me trumpet and euphonium at that same elementary school, supplemented by seeing Wynton Marsalis playing a piece about a carnival on that instrument?
Or is it because when I heard Daisy Gaines play organ at Christ Reformed Baptist Church, I wanted to play like her?


I wonder? I wonder...


Is it because in Concert Band I played Gustav Holst, Granger, Vaughn Williams.  Then you add Elgar, Sullivan, and Britten.  Does this give me a undying love of British Music and its composers?  
Is it because in opera, you learn about Verdi, Leoncavallo, and Puccini. Does this give us a undying love of Italian Music and its composers?  Does it not want to make you go to La Scala?
Is it because in all facets of music, you learn about Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, and Mussorgsky. Does this give us a undying love of Russian Music and its composers?  Does it not make you want to go to St. Petersburg?
Is it because in jazz, you learn about Armstrong, Bechet, and Marsalis. Does this give us a undying love of New Orleans Music and its composers?  Does it not make you want to go to Bourbon St?



I wonder, I really wonder...
This really has me deep in thought.


Is it because Mendelssohn make you want to know what was he dreaming that Midsummer Night? Or what was in Fingel's Cave?
Is it because I wanted to cower and not go after my dreams, but Bird and Diz said "Now's the Time?"
Is it because Spyra Gyra and Al Jarreau had me dancing in the morning?
Is it because Ms. Rushen remind me not to forget her as I heard her sing and play?
Is it because a trio took a soulful strut down Brunswick trying not to be wack?
Is it because it felt so good to ask Mister Magic about street life during Mardi Gras with Angela looking alot like Naima in a Taxi?
Is it because Sonny Rollins give me interest to travel to Nigeria while Weather Report told me about Birdland?
Is it because DouDou Ndaiye Roae make me want to learn Djembe or breeze on a masquerade like a guitar player?


I wonder, I really do wonder.


Is it because Ellington made me want to Take the A-Train or Basie having me jump when it's One O'Clock?
Is it because Dr. Hailstork reminded me, "I made my vow?"
Is it because Beethoven had me ask my mother, "Who was Elise?" or Smetena wanting me to take a boat down the Moldau?
Is it because I heard Rostropovich play Bach's Cello Suites so flowingly or Andre Watts tickling the ivories?
Is it because Marvin asked what was going on? and I answered, "My pain and headache follows me everywhere I go?"


I really have to ask these questions.


Is it because Mr. Morris told his dear love "You are the sunshine of my life"
Is it because I didn't go to Clarksville; I decided to take that late night train to Georgia?
Is it because Benny Goodman had me ask "Where was the Savoy" or Duke Pearson and Eddie Jefferson had me ask "When was the last time I saw Jeannine?" 
Is it because I was busted and I wasted time at the Bay thinking about how funky of a drummer I could be if I believed?
Is it because I whispered in her ear tenderly, "You're my shining star, always and forever, please don't go way from me?" or is it because I walked on by to Cafe Reggio?


I wonder this at times.


Is it because I love the fountains and pines of Rome or want to ride a funiculi?
Is it because no one must sleep until I find Daphnis and Chloe?

Is it because I found out why Joe was so killing or me trying to keep Freddie from Freeloading?
Is it because the big Delight had MJ, Diana, Nipsey, and Ted going down the road with ease to see Mr. Pryor or was it because his God-daughter was singing and putting her arms around James?
Is it because I'm running for no reason and I can't hide love from her, who shines like a sun goddess?

It goes through my mind often.

Is it because Ella's words killed me softly as I never could say goodbye to Lady Luck?
Or is it because when I was in Madrid, I danced cheek to cheek with Ilene night and day? 
Is it because I want to be the Chairman of the Board driving down Route 66 teaching the boy from New York City how to make money?
Is it because I graduated from College although I registered late every semester
or was it because I was always faithfully reading the Washington Post come Sunday.
Is it because I'm on the hill, not just blueberry or sugar, relaxing electrically because my account is paper thin?
Is it because I don't believe He brought me this far giving me melodies from Heaven saying how wondrous is His Name
Or is it because I had an inner urge to play dominoes and celebrate being Black & proud?


The question is, "Why do I love Music so much?"
I Wonder, I wonder, 
I wonder

© MMXXI Chad E. Hughes


No comments:

Post a Comment