Tuesday, August 27, 2024

RIP: Finale Notation Software

MAKEMusic doing this to Finale Users is like getting a divorce out of nowhere. Thirty years of integrity & unwavering support and your spouse announces she's leaving with the moving truck already in the driveway. This is hard for us engravers. All my friends know my livelihood is in Finale. I'll overcome this somehow but this is grief and borderline depressing. I'm not good right now. Terrell Jones you predicted this and Warren PsifonianPsientist Shaw, you won. I hope they'll make Finale open source. 

With all of this, 

1) I think Finale can be open sourced like Google Docs is to Microsoft Word. I will buy both as I hold on to Finale. I have NOT seen anyone make scores like Armando Bayolo and Shawn E. Okpebholo on either platform. They make the art of engraving legendary. I love just looking at their scores. So clean and sleek. I have used Sean’s and Armando’s scores to teach my students proper engraving. I haven’t seen ANYONE use Dorico, MuseScore, or Sibelius make scores like the aforementioned.  Perhaps it is possible. When I meet said person, I shall study with said person to learn. I take engraving very seriously (as I know you do so so well!)


2) I will purchase Dorico.  It seems their video function is amazing.  I do look forward to that. Finale's video handling was terrible, let's be honest.  The BIT RATE was always going wonkers also. 
.

3) I will buy Sibelius also.  This will be another backup since Sibelius automatically opens Finale files (.mus, musx.). Don't get it twisted, I shall not be a Sibelius user at this time.  The only Sibelius I recognize is Jean!


4). I'm still going to compose on Finale.  It's not quite necessary to give up the ghost yet.  Too many things to do.  Like my brother Shawn suggested, I'll probably start saving XMLs concurrently.  I will also keep a legacy machine also.  Also, I'm way way waaaaay to fluent to change right now.


Musically Yours,
Chad "Sir Wick" Hughes

A soon to be Divorcee of MakeMusic.  I need an Arnold Palmer right now. MakeMusic also needs to pay alimony!

No comments:

Post a Comment